We are searching for a research assistant to be incorporated to the Postgrowth Innovation Lab and work under the project ARCA (Towards an appropriate climate responsibility: How the appropriate responsibility narrative can affect the behavior of public administrations in the face of climate change).
Ideally, we seek an early-stage researcher who aspires to pursue a Ph.D. at the University of Vigo under the supervision of Prof. David Soto-Oñate and Prof. Mario Pansera.
What we offer
We offer a job contract with the following conditions:
- Type: Full-time employment contract (37.5 hours per week) as a research assistant
- Duration: 21 months (subject to variation due to paperwork, ±1 month).
- Expected starting date: March 1, 2023 (±1 month)
- Salary (before tax): 1900€/month (which would be enough to live comfortably given the cost of living in Pontevedra)
You will have access to a wide range of academic activities (research seminars and workshops), as well as ad hoc training in specific scientific skills and career development courses.
What we need
We need a person that
- Holds a bachelor’s and a master’s degree (totaling a minimum of 300 credits ECTS) in Social Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Engineering or Urban Planning. We also encourage applicants from other disciplines as long as their interests and background are aligned with the research goals of the project.
- Has training in quantitative & qualitative methods.
- Is eligible and has a strong profile to compete for Ph.D. scholarships and be able to self-fund for the rest of the Ph.D. period (please check this info about the main requirements to be eligible for Galician and Spanish Govs’ Ph.D. scholarships).
- Is willing to live in Pontevedra (or nearby) during the length of the contract
- Is fluent in English and Spanish.
- Has research interest in the fields of Environmental Governance, Climate Policy, Ecological Economics, or Degrowth/Postgrowth.
Additional things we appreciate (but not required)
We value that this person
- Is concerned about the environmental issues.
- Enjoys working in multicultural environments and is highly motivated, curious and kind.
- Has previous research experience.
- Has knowledge on ecological economics, planetary boundaries, degrowth, or collective action theories.
- Has previous experience with environmentally extended input-output analysis and EXIOBASE.
Application and evaluation process
The process has the following stages (chronologically):
- The candidate submits an expression of interest (deadline: December 5)
- Later in December, once the official application process starts, we will send an email to the candidate, who will proceed to the submission of his/her formal application. Please, bear in mind that the application process is mandatory and will only be open for 5 working days.
- The selection committee will evaluate only the received candidatures through the official application procedure and will announce the shortlist of candidates that will pass to the next stage.
- The shortlisted candidates will be interviewed online by the committee.
- The selected candidate will be notified as soon as possible after the interviews.
Expression of interest procedure
Fill out this form and attach your CV, a cover letter, and proof of proficiency in English or Spanish when they are not your native language.
The selection committee could request any other documentation relevant to the call during the selection process.
Please be aware that the detection of any deliberate false statement or document will result in the immediate withdrawal of the candidacy or the termination of the contract.
The University of Vigo hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, they will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that if the successful applicant is neither a European citizen nor a permanent resident of Europe, he or she must be issued a work permit prior to commencing the position. This might delay the starting date and hence reduce the duration of the contract.
In the evaluation of candidates for this call, we are only assessing the fit of the profiles to the specific needs of the tasks. We are in no way selecting the best candidates according to some delusional universal criteria. That your candidature is not successful in this process does not mean that your profile has less value or that we do not appreciate your achievements or skills. We really do! And we are grateful for your interest in working with us.
Please send your doubts to email@example.com.